Oh, hey there!
I feel like I always start off my first post after a break with these words, like we’ve just randomly bumped into each other on the street. Totally random, right? Fancy you here! How’ve you been?
Me? Oh, I’ve been doing this kind of ridiculous freelance project. I’ve been fact checking, which is a fine side job, but is also one that has taken up the bulk of my time that I wasn’t at work. I finished the project on Friday, though, and after two days of sleeping in and doing a whole lotta nothin, I”m ready to get back into the swing of things. Things being watching Friday Night Lights, crocheting, and blogging. Oh, and reading.
Since I have the subway rides still, I’ve been reading. I finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which was great. I’m also in the middle of The Book Thief, which is not so great, but it’s for book club, so I will power through. There is also The Weird Sisters, which I’m finding completely charming.
I have a lot of books to review, since January was taken up mostly by reading Moby Dick. Now that I’m participating in Tasha’s The Project Gutenberg Project, I see a lot more classics in my life. I’d like to do a more thorough write up of this blog in the future, but you should definitely go check it out. I’m so excited to be a part of it.
Unfortunately, I don’t really have any reviews written up to post right away, but thankfully there are bloggers like the wonderful Chris from Stuff as Dreams are Made On, who tagged me for this meme, which is just what I needed! Basically, Chris asked me 11 questions and I have to ask 11 other people 11 questions. Fun, yes?
1. What’s the best book you’ve read so far in 2012?
I feel like I’ve read a lot of middle of the road books. They’re good, not bad, but just almost great. Nothing I’ve read stands out immediately, but I guess if I had to pick I would say it is a tie between The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. If I’m honest with myself, though, neither of those will probably grow to be lifelong favorites. They were great, don’t get me wrong, but not personal favorites.
2. What’s your most anticipated book of 2012 so far?
These are the books I currently have on pre-order, so I’m very much anticipating them:
The Chameleon Couch: Poems by Yusef Komunyakaa
Secure the Shadow: Poems by Claudia Emerson
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
3. What’s your favorite song or album of 2012 so song (doesn’t have to be from this year)?
Lately, I’ve been picking a song of the week and listening it on repeat until I’ve totally killed the song. So far this year I’ve fallen in love with Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye, Half-Acre by Hem, Bloodstream by Stateless, I Want to Break Free by Queen, Keep Yourself Warm by Frightened Rabbit, Naive by The Kooks. Wait, was I only supposed to pick one?
4. What’s the best thing to happen to you so far this year?
Pilates! I’m in love with my pilates class. It’s a very difficult class, but I always miss it when I don’t take it.
5. What’s the worst thing to happen to you so far this year?
This winter has been so dreary. No, it’s not all that cold and there hasn’t been a lot of snow, but I feel like I’m always in my rain coat, wishing for just a bit of sun.
6. What’s the best piece of news you’ve heard not concerning you so far this year? This could be a political event, a news item that made you smile, something that happened to a friend, etc.
A friend of mine is making a huge change in her life and I’m so proud of her for doing it. I am going to miss her, but she is so brave and wonderful. I know it’s going to be amazing for her.
7. What’s the best thing you’ve cooked/eaten/best recipe you’ve saved so far this year?
I haven’t felt very inspired by cooking lately, but I think one of the best meals we’ve eaten that I’ve cooked this year was a spare rib ragu.
8. What’s your biggest goal for this year and how’s it working for you so far?
To find one small thing that makes me happy each day. I haven’t always been successful, but it’s good to have that reminder.
9. Have you discovered any new to you blogs yet this year that you’re loving?
I haven’t really made any new discoveries yet this year! But that’s something I’d really like to do this year. If you’re a new-to-me blogger, stop lurking! I promise I”ll visit your blog.
10. What’s your favorite thing you’ve seen on the screen so far this year? This could be a tv show/music video/movie/documentary, etc.
I am currently obsessed with Friday Night Lights and The Vampire Diaries!
11. Do you plan on doing any gardening in 2012? Come on it’s me…you knew there’d be some gardening in here :p
Actually, yes! We have a balcony that actually gets decent sun. We’re going to start planning out what/when/in what to plant this week or next. I’m pretty excited! I don’t have much of a green thumb, so it will be nice to see how it goes and if I can successfully grow things!
Now for my questions!
1. Tell us one thing that we don’t know about you!
2. Is there one book you’re always recommending? Which book is it and why.
3. Have you convinced anyone to read said book? Did they like it?
4. What do you do besides read?
5. Are you crafty?
6. Whom do you miss right now?
7. What are you going to eat for dinner?
8. What is the one book you’ve been dying to read but you haven’t yet?
9. I need some new music recommendations! What have you been listening to lately?
10. If you could go back to any time in your life and live through it all again, when would you return to?
11. What’s one goal you have for this year?
Now, who shall I tag? No pressure! Do this if you like, but my feelings won’t be hurt if this isn’t your thing. I understand.
1. Jenny at Jenny’s Books
2, Teresa and Jenny at Shelf Love
3. Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness
4. Ash at English Major’s Narrative
5. Debi at Still With Nothing of Importance
6. Meg at Write Meg!
7. Sara at Wordy Evidence of the Fact
8. Clare at The Literary Omnivore
9. Jenn at The Picky Girl
10. Memory at Stella Matutina
11. Bettina at Liburauk
I apologize if you’ve already been tagged! Otherwise, have fun. Have a great week! Hopefully you’ll be seeing some reviews up soon.